As summer arrives with its sunny days and warm breezes, it also brings a host of challenges for curly and coily haired individuals. From frizz to humidity, water damage, and the drying effects of chlorine and saltwater, summer can wreak havoc on our beloved locks.
In this article, we will explore the common summer hair issues faced by those with curly and coily hair, and provide you with invaluable tips and tricks to help you maintain healthy and beautiful hair all season long.
Humidity and FrizzHumidity can be the ultimate nemesis for curly and coily hair, causing unwanted frizz and unruly tresses. To combat this, follow these tips:
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize: Curly and coily hair tends to be naturally drier, so keeping it well-hydrated is crucial. Use a moisturizing conditioner and deep conditioning treatments regularly to maintain moisture levels.
- Seal in moisture: After washing or conditioning your hair, apply a leave-in conditioner or a lightweight oil to seal the moisture and create a barrier against humidity.
- Avoid heavy products: Opt for lightweight styling products that won't weigh down your curls or create build-up. Avoid silicones, sulfates, and drying alcohols that can strip away moisture and contribute to frizz.
- Protective hairstyles: Braids, twists, buns, and updos can be your best friends during humid days. These styles help to keep your hair off your shoulders and reduce exposure to the humid air, minimizing frizz.
Water DamageSummer activities like swimming and water sports expose your hair to chlorinated or saltwater, which can lead to dryness and damage. Follow these tips to protect your tresses:
- Pre-wet your hair: Before entering the pool or ocean, soak your hair with fresh water. This will minimize the absorption of chlorinated or saltwater, as hair tends to absorb less water when already wet.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner or oil: Coat your hair with a leave-in conditioner or natural oil before swimming. This acts as a protective barrier and helps prevent chlorine or saltwater from penetrating the hair shaft.
- Rinse thoroughly: After swimming, rinse your hair with fresh water to remove any lingering chlorine or salt. Follow up with a gentle shampoo and moisturizing conditioner to replenish lost moisture.
- Deep condition: Incorporate regular deep conditioning treatments into your hair care routine to restore moisture and repair any damage caused by chlorine or saltwater exposure.
- Clarify your hair: Use a clarifying shampoo once a week, or every other wash day, to remove any buildup from chlorine or saltwater. This will help restore your hair's natural shine and prevent dullness.
- Use a protein treatment: Protein treatments can help strengthen and repair damaged hair. Look for products that contain hydrolyzed proteins to replenish lost protein and improve hair elasticity.
- Protective styling: Consider wearing a swim cap or protective headscarf when swimming to minimize direct contact between your hair and chlorine or saltwater.
- Post-swim care: After swimming, thoroughly rinse your hair with water and apply a leave-in conditioner or moisturizer to restore moisture and nourish your hair.
Switching to a low heat styling tool like the RevAir Reverse Air Dryer can also help limit your heat exposure, and help you to style with less damage on the days you want a fresh look. RevAir uses only airflow - no damaging friction - to dry and smooth hair in less than 1/2 the time of a standard dryer.
Summer can be a challenging time for good hair days, but with the right care and precautions, you can enjoy healthy and beautiful locks all season long. Remember to focus on moisturizing, protecting your hair from humidity and water damage, and incorporating regular deep conditioning treatments into your routine. By following these tips and tricks, you'll be well on your way to conquering the summer hair woes and embracing your natural curls with confidence and style. So, go ahead, step out into the summer sun, and let your hair shine!
Have questions about integrating RevAir into your routine? Our team is here to help!